Born 1958 in Kiel, Germany.
- Diplom in Computer Science,
University of Bonn, 1982.
- Doctorate (Dr.rer.nat) in Computer Science, University of Bonn, 1986.
in Computer Science, Hamburg University, 1995.
- 1982-1986: Scientific Assistant, Computer Science Department, University of Bonn
- 1986-2001: Research Scientist at GMD
(German National Research Center for Information Technology)
- 03-07/1993: Guest Researcher, International Computer Science Institute
(ICSI), Berkeley, CA
- 1993-1994: Substitute Professor (C4-Lehrstuhlvertreter),
Computer Science Faculty, Dortmund University
- 07-09/1996: Visiting Lecturer,
Computer Science Department, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- 1998-2004: External lecturer (Privatdozent),
University of Bonn, Computer Science Department
- 1999-2004: Head of Department
Robot Control Architectures (ARC), AIS
- 2001-2004 (merger between GMD and Fraunhofer Society): Research Scientist at
Fraunhofer Institute Autonomous Intelligent Systems
(AIS, now IAIS)
- Since 09/2004: Professor for Computer Science (Knowledge-Based Systems)
at the University of Osnabrück
- 2007-2009: Dean of the School of Mathematics and Computer Science, Osnabrück University
- Since 10/2011: Head of Osnabrück branch, Robotics Innovation Center
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence
- 03-05/2014: Visiting Lecturer,
Università La Sapienza, Rome,
Dept. Computer, Control, and Management Engineering Antonio Ruberti
Areas of scientific interest
Artificial Intelligence, knowledge-based systems, action planning,
plan-based robot control,
robot navigation and localization,
embedded knowledge-based systems.
Applications of these. Currently, a focus is on Agricultural Robotics.
I have written or edited 9 books and published over 200 refereed or invited papers
in books, journals or major conferences.
A selection (complete starting Fall 2004)
can be found at this link.
- EurAi Fellow
(formerly called ECCAI Fellow) as of 2014
- Award for Excellence for Springer Handbook of Robotics (B. Siciliano, O. Khatib, eds.),
Chapter co-author (2008)
- 2nd place (team member), SICK AG Robot Day, indoor competition (2007)
- Nomination for Hans-Mühlenhoff-Preis for outstanding teaching, Osnabrück University (2007)
- Best Mobility Award, Best Autonomy Award (team member), Robocup German Open (2005)
- Best Paper Award (co-author), SSRR'05, Kobe, Japan (2005)
- Vice World Champion (team member), RoboCup Rescue, Lisbon (2004)
- ICSI Award of GMD for outstanding scientific research (1992)
- PhD grant by Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes (1983/84)
The current projects of the Knowledge-Based Systems working group are listed under this link.
- PC member,
Feb 26-27, 2018, Kiel
- Journal of Automation,
Mobile Robotics and Intelligent Systems,
Member of the Editorial Board
- IEEE RAS
on Agricultural Robotics and Automation
- MCG (Machine Control and Guidance), member of the
- Vertrauensdozent (personal tutor)
of the Studienstiftung
des Deutschen Volkes (German National Academic Foundation)
at the University of Osnabrück (from March 2010 on).
- I have been (actually, much too frequently ...) a project reviewer for various European and German public agencies,
such as EC (7th FP, Horizon 2020), ERC, BMVIT (Austrian Fed. Ministry for Traffic, Innovation, Technology),
BMBF (German Fed. Ministry for Education and Research), DFG, and more.
- Co-editor of the book series
DISKI – Dissertationen
aus der Künstlichen Intelligenz of
- Past (Some)
- Dean of the Department of Mathematics/Computer Science, Universität Osnabrück (2007-2009)
Conference Co-Chair and local organization,
KI-2007, September 10-13, 2007, Osnabrück.
- Co-Editor, KI –
Künstliche Intelligenz (2009-2017)
Co-editor, Special Issue
Semantic Knowledge in Robotics of the J. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2008
- Co-organizer, Dagstuhl Seminars 12491
Interpreting Observed Actions,
Schloss Dagstuhl, Dec 2-7, 2012;
No. 06231 Towards Affordance-Based Robot Control, June 5-9, 2006;
and No. 03261 Plan-based Control of
Robotic Agents,, June 22-27, 2003
of the previous seminar in 2001.)
- Member of the Comité de
Pilotage (Steering Committee) of the Interdisciplinary National
French Program in Robotics Robotique et Entités
- Member of the Executive
Council of the International Conference on Automated Planning and
Scheduling (ICAPS) (2002-2008).
- Co-chair 6th Intl. Conf. on Artificial
Intelligence Planning and Scheduling Systems (AIPS2002), April
25-27, 2002, Toulouse (France)
Transactions on Artificial Intelligence (ETAI), member of the
editorial committee for the area Planning and
- Member of the problem jury for the
German National Contest in Informatics (Bundeswettbewerb
- speaker of the SIG Planen
of the German Gesellschaft für Informatik,
- Past involvements in conference organization are at this link.
Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI),
Gesellschaft für Informatik (GI),
Gesellschaft für Informatik in der Landwirtschaft (GIL),
Gesellschaft für Kognitionswissenschaft (GK),
Osnabrücker Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft (OWiG)
||Last changed: Mar 18, 2015|